Since 1981, the Oxford Sri Chinmoy Centre has been regularly offering free meditation classes to the general public. Over the past four decades we have offered countless people in Oxford the opportunity to learn how to meditate or deepen their own meditation practise and discover more about the spiritual life.
The meditation classes are given by local members of the Sri Chinmoy Centre, who have been practising meditation for many years. Members of the Sri Chinmoy Centre come from many walks of life and share a common interest in meditation. Read more
Sri Chinmoy in Oxford
Sri Chinmoy is a spiritual teacher who devoted his life to making meditation widely available. Sri Chinmoy also travelled frequently to share his hopes and vision for a more peaceful world. During his lifetime, Sri Chinmoy visited Oxford on nine occasions from 1970 to 2003. This included lectures, concerts and meeting with members of Oxford University.
Sri Chinmoy’s visits to Oxford include
- 1970 – 19 November. Lecture entitled “The Universe” at Keble College Oxford
- 1973 – 11 June – Lecture entitled “Three Lessons in Spirituality” in the Newman Room, University Catholic Chaplaincy
- 1974 – 25 June – Lecture entitled “Confidence”
- 1976 – 19 June – Lecture entitled “Goodness and Greatness” in St. Cross Building, Manor Road.
- 1981 – 16 May – Lecture entitled “Success-Height” in the Oxford Union Debating Chamber.
- 1987 – 15 October – Inauguration of Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile in Cutteslowe Park. Also organ recital in New College.
- 1989 – 26 June – Organ recital in Christ Church Cathedral, Christ Church College, followed by Lifting Up the World With a Oneness-Heart Award ceremony. Sri Chinmoy honoured several professors including Professor Dame Dorothy Hodgkin (1964 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, University of Oxford) That same evening, Sri Chinmoy also offered a Peace Concert in the Sheldonian Theatre
- 1997 – May 22 – Sri Chinmoy offered a Peace Concert in Christ Church Cathedral.
2003 -26 June – Lifting up the World with a Oneness-Heart ceremony at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford. Sri Chinmoy met and lifted 20 professors from Oxford University. The event is recorded in the book “The mind loves the Heart, The mind becomes the heart”
More on Sri Chinmoy
Other activities of Sri Chinmoy Centre
Running races at the Peace Mile
Every summer we offer a series of running races in Cutteslowe Park, Oxford. These ‘self-transcendence’ races offer local runners the opportunity to test themselves on a popular course in Cutteslowe Park. The races are run on the 1 mile Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile, which was inaugurated in 1987.
View more at UK Sri Chinmoy Races
On numerous occasions, the Sri Chinmoy Peace Run has visited Oxford, where we have visited local schools, and members of the Oxford community.
Short video about Oxford Meditation classes