Sri Chinmoy is an internationally respected spiritual teacher, who was born in 1931, Chittagong, Bangladesh (then part of India) and lived in New York, US from 1964 to 2007.
Sri Chinmoy sought to inspire humanity through a range of activities including music, art, poetry and sports. In particular, he taught the practise of meditation and accepted meditation students from all over the globe. There are now Sri Chinmoy Meditation Centres in over 60 countries.
Sri Chinmoy in Oxford
Sri Chinmoy’s Path of Meditation
Sri Chinmoy advises his students to meditate on the heart. Sri Chinmoy feels it is the spiritual heart where a seeker can easily experience a sense of his own soul and connection to an inner reality of peace and happiness.
“When we meditate, what we actually do is enter into the deeper part of our being. At that time, we are able to bring to the fore the wealth that we have deep within us.”
– Sri Chinmoy
Sri Chinmoy emphasises the simplicity and naturalness of meditation. The most important thing is to silence the mind; once we quieten the mind and enter the heart, we will be able to experience the real benefits of meditation.
“When we meditate, what we actually do is enter into a vacant, calm, still, silent mind. We go deep within and approach our true existence, which is our soul. When we live in the soul, we feel that we are actually meditating spontaneously”
– Sri Chinmoy
Sri Chinmoy’s teachings are based on the timeless truths of Vedantic philosophy, presented in a dynamic form for modern seekers. To learn more about the philosophy of Sri Chinmoy. Kindly visit: www.srichinmoy.org
“We are all seekers, and our goal is the same: to achieve inner peace, light, and joy, to become inseparably one with our Source, and to lead lives full of true satisfaction….”
“Our path is basically the path of the heart and not the path of the mind. This does not mean that we are criticising the path of the mind. Far from it. We just feel that the path of the heart leads us faster towards our goal….”
– Sri Chinmoy (3) Source: www.srichinmoy.org
Sri Chinmoy talking about meditation
Sri Chinmoy in Oxford
Sri Chinmoy has visited Oxford nine times. Including:
Sri Chinmoy’s visits to Oxford include
- 1970 – 19 November. Lecture entitled “The Universe” at Keble College Oxford
- 1973 – 11 June – Lecture entitled “Three Lessons in Spirituality” in the Newman Room, University Catholic Chaplaincy
- 1974 – 25 June – Lecture entitled “Confidence”
- 1976 – 19 June – Lecture entitled “Goodness and Greatness” in St. Cross Building, Manor Road.
- 1981 – 16 May – Lecture entitled “Success-Height” in the Oxford Union Debating Chamber.
- 1987 – 15 October – Inauguration of Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile in Cutteslowe Park. Also organ recital in New College.
- 1989 – 26 June – Organ recital in Christ Church Cathedral, Christ Church College, followed by Lifting Up the World With a Oneness-Heart Award ceremony. Sri Chinmoy honoured several professors including Professor Dame Dorothy Hodgkin (1964 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, University of Oxford) That same evening, Sri Chinmoy also offered a Peace Concert in the Sheldonian Theatre
- 1997 – May 22 – Sri Chinmoy offered a Peace Concert in Christ Church Cathedral.
2003 -26 June – Lifting up the World with a Oneness-Heart ceremony at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford. Sri Chinmoy met and lifted 20 professors from Oxford University. The event is recorded in the book “The mind loves the Heart, The mind becomes the heart“.
More Information on Sri Chinmoy
- Sri Chinmoy Bio
- Sri Chinmoy Library
- Sri Chinmoy TV
- Sri Chinmoy at Independent
- More Links on Sri Chinmoy and Meditation
Oxford Sri Chinmoy Centre
The Oxford Sri Chinmoy Centre was founded in 1981. We have been giving free meditation classes for the past 39 years. In that time, many people have enjoyed and benefited from our classes.